This course is designed to lay the foundational abilities you’ll need to graduate Hollywood High School: reading comprehension, writing (creative and technical), critical thinking, and speaking and listening for higher academic study and your career. The course curriculum is based on the California Common Core State Standards.
- I can write a narrative (fiction or nonfiction) with effective description, well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences.
- I can produce clear and coherent writing appropriate to task, purpose and audience.
- I can analyze how a writer’s word choice shapes the meaning and tone of the text.
- I can use a variety of grammatical structures when writing and/or speaking that are appropriate to the task, purpose and audience.
- I can effectively participate in conversations and discussions with a variety of peers.
- I can cite evidence from a text, draw conclusions from it, and explain how it supports my claim, analysis and/or ideas.
- I can use multiple methods to determine or clarify the meanings of words and phrases.
- I can demonstrate an understanding of the intricacies of words and word relationships.
- I can present information with supporting evidence so that the audience can follow the reasoning, and the presentation is appropriate to the task, purpose and audience.
- I fully engage in the writing process, producing multiple drafts, to develop and strengthen my writing.